Report says North Korean hackers have been targeting South Korean cryptocurrency exchanges

North Korea

  • North Korean hackers have been linked to recent attacks on a South Korean cryptocurrency exchange. 
  • US cyber-security firm Recorded Future analyzed methods used in recent cryptocurrency attacks and noticed a trend. 
  • The malware is linked to a North Korea-tied hacking unit called Lazarus.
  • The report comes amid recent allegations that North Korea is mining and hacking cryptocurrencies as a way to deal with crippling economic sanctions.

North Korea’s involvement in major hacking offensives appears to be growing.

The country has been linked to a recent attack on South Korean cryptocurrency exchanges, according to cybersecurity experts. 

Researchers from the US cybersecurity firm Recorded Future say a new hacking campaign targeting South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Coinlink employed the same malware code used in the 2014 attack on Sony Pictures and last year’s global WannaCry attack.

Beginning in late 2017, hackers attempted to collect the passwords and emails of employees at Coinlink, but were unsuccessful.

Recorded Future released a full report on Tuesday analyzing the methods used in the recent Coinlink attack, versus methods used in previous cyberattacks. The firm found what it called strong evidence that a cybercrime unit called the Lazarus group was behind the Coinlink attack, as well as several previous large-scale campaigns, based on the type of code they have used in previous attacks.

According to the report, the Lazarus group operates under a North Korean state-sponsored cyber unit.

The group has been conducting operations since at least 2009, when they launched an attack on US and South Korean websites by infecting them with a virus known as MyDoom, the report said. The group has mainly targeted South Korean, US government, and financial entities, but has also been linked to the major attack on Sony Pictures in 2014.

In recent years, researchers noticed a change in North Korean cyber operations as they began to shift their focus to attacking financial institutions in order to steal money to fund Kim Jong Un’s regime, the report said.

In 2017, the group began targeting cryptocurrencies, and their first offensive was aimed at Bithumb, one of the world’s largest bitcoin exchanges. Lazarus hackers stole $7 million in the Bithumb heist at the time, according to the report.

The WannaCry attack in 2017, which affected computer systems at schools, hospitals, and businesses across 150 countries, also used malware code that was linked to Lazarus.

Additionally, a December attack on the South Korean bitcoin exchange YouBit reportedly mirrored previous North Korean offensives, leading experts to suggest that groups associated with the North were behind that attack as well.

Recorded Future’s report comes amid recent allegations that North Korea has begun mining and hacking cryptocurrencies in order to sidestep crippling economic sanctions.

“This is a continuation of their broader interest in cryptocurrency as a funding stream,” Priscilla Moriuchi, director of strategic-threat development at Recorded Future, told the Wall Street Journal this week.

The US has released statements blaming North Korea for several recent attacks. But North Korea still denies any involvement, despite mounting evidence.

SEE ALSO: North Korea may be behind a massive cyber attack on a South Korean bitcoin exchange that caused it to collapse

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-Un is 34 —here’s how he became one of the world’s scariest dictators


Related Blogs

    Share this:
    Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

    New York Times Opinion Page To Publish Letters From Trump Supporters

    New York Times Opinion Page To Publish Letters From Trump SupportersThe New York Times announced online Wednesday that the Thursday print edition would feature a number of letters from supporters of President Donald Trump “in the spirit of open debate.”


    Related Blogs

      Share this:
      Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

      There's A Really Dumb Reason Why Some Teens Are Eating Tide Pods

      There's A Really Dumb Reason Why Some Teens Are Eating Tide PodsHealth officials are urging the public not to eat laundry detergent packets amid an uptick in intentional exposures and ingestions among teenagers, and we can thank a running online joke for it.


      Related Blogs

        Share this:
        Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

        Alligator And Python Locked In Death Duel On Golf Course

        Alligator And Python Locked In Death Duel On Golf CourseA Naples, Florida, golf course featured a reptilian smackdown between an alligator and Burmese python last week ― and it was caught on camera.


        Related Blogs

          Share this:
          Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

          Fishermen dive into river moments before motorboat smashes into vessel

          Fishermen dive into river moments before motorboat smashes into vesselA group of fisherman were forced to dive into a freezing cold river to escape being crushed by a motorboat bearing down on their small vessel. Bryan Maess was fishing with friends near the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon when the motorboat crashed straight into the small boat in August last year. Footage captured on a GoPro mounted inside the fishing boat shows Mr Maess frantically waving at the boat as it approaches to get the driver’s attention. He repeatedly shouts ‘hey!’ as the vessel gets closer, while another on board is heard saying ‘oh my god’ before the trio dive into the water. Mr Maess has filed a $372,500 (£270k) lawsuit against the driver of the boat, who told police he could not see the fishing party as the dash of his boat was blocking his view, The Oregonian reports. The trip were forced to dive into the water  The fisherman suffered injuries to his ankle, leg and arms in the incident and has had vision problems and headaches since, the lawsuit says. Mr Maess claims in the suit that the boat driver, Marlin Lee Larsen, was distracted while using his mobile phone when the incident occurred. However Mr Larsen told local media the allegations were “fake news”. The 75-year-old has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges of the reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others. The case is ongoing. There are no laws prohibiting the use of a mobile phone when driving a boat in Oregon, however there are laws against operating a boat without due care. Investigators say the trio could have been killed or seriously injured if they hadn’t jumped into the water.


          Related Blogs

            Share this:
            Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

            Archaeologists in Mexico Claim to Have Discovered the World's Longest Underwater Cave

            Archaeologists in Mexico Claim to Have Discovered the World's Longest Underwater CaveThe discovery has revealed a combined cave about 216 miles long


            Related Blogs

              Share this:
              Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

              US border patrol exposed kicking over water bottles left for migrants

              US border patrol exposed kicking over water bottles left for migrantsUS border patrol agents are routinely sabotaging water supplies left for migrants in the Arizona desert, condemning them to death, humanitarian groups have said. Travellers attempting to cross into the US from Mexico regularly die of dehydration, as well as exposure to extreme heat or cold, so aid groups leave water bottles and emergency stocks such as blankets at points throughout the Sonoran desert. A video released by the groups showed border patrol agents kicking over water bottles and pouring away their contents.


              Related Blogs

                Share this:
                Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

                California abuse case sparks calls for home-schooling oversight

                California abuse case sparks calls for home-schooling oversightThe number of U.S. children educated at home has doubled to about 1.7 million, or 3 percent of the nation’s school-age population, from 1999, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. “We would not say abuse is more common among home-schoolers, but when it does occur, there are fewer safeguards, less to stop it from spinning out of control,” said Executive Director Rachel Coleman. The organization has called for requiring annual contacts by outside officials and background checks for parents who run home schools.


                Related Blogs

                  Share this:
                  Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

                  The Coverage Of Trump’s Big Dumb Body Is Fat With Stupidity

                  The Coverage Of Trump’s Big Dumb Body Is Fat With StupidityBecause everything is now impossibly stupid, MSNBC and a host of other websites and news outlets spent a decent amount of time this week covering the height and weight of President Donald Trump.


                  Related Blogs

                    Share this:
                    Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

                    'The Wall is the Wall': Trump defends border plan after Kelly suggests it has 'changed'

                    'The Wall is the Wall': Trump defends border plan after Kelly suggests it has 'changed'The mixed signals from Trump and his chief of staff come as Congress is attempting to pass a short-term spending bill that would avert a government shutdown.


                    Related Blogs

                      Share this:
                      Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter